Monday, December 30, 2013

The Faith of a Child

The night before our twin boys turned 3-years-old, I had a life-changing conversation with our oldest son, Caleb. I will never forget the date; October 20, 2013. I was in the middle of completing a homework assignment when Caleb burst through the door.

“Daddy, I have been talking to God the last couple of days…”

What was my son going to say? Why is this 7-year-old kid talking to God? Is he going to drop a bomb on me? Time stood still for me. Next to heeding Jesus’ call to follow him and the decision to ask my wife, Michelle, to marry me, I knew this next moment would carry life-long implications.

“God wants me to follow Jesus. I’m going to pray to ask him into my heart.”

Wait, what? Wasn't this the part where I’m supposed to lead my own son to Christ? My son very much eliminated the middle man! It was at this time that God was trying to show ME something. It wasn’t about me! It was about the same Holy Spirit that worked through the prophets, David and Paul that was prodding my son to devote his life to God. My son was being led by his God to follow Jesus. He had the faith of a child that I had forgotten about.

Luke 18:16-17 (NLT) 16 Then Jesus called for the children and said to the disciples, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. 17 I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.

Thank you, Jesus! A great reminder that the Kingdom of God is so much more than what lines up with my dogma, criteria and preconceived notions.

“Daddy, when can I be baptized?”

Here was my son’s next question. Again, this kid was taking his obedience to Jesus to the max! I assured him we would sign him up for the next baptism at church. I am happy to report that my son, my brother-in-Christ, was baptized on Sunday, November 3, 2013, at Vineyard Church North Phoenix. I had the privilege and honor of baptizing my own son in front of friends and family. What a joyous occasion!

Time stood still again during the baptism. This child gave his life to Jesus and has been on fire for him the last few weeks. Even as he is playing, he is belting out songs of worship for his Lord. He is praising his God as His new creation. He is all about Jesus. Forget the energy adults want when kids are bouncing off the walls late at night, I want the excitement and fervor Caleb has for Jesus! I yearn for that faith of a child…especially my child!

Thank you, Jesus, for the gift of you and the gift that is my son. The eyes of my understanding have been enlightened to another level. I am humbled and blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment